Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Preacher Man: Part 2

I arrived at the camp around 6pm on Friday night. I actually got there before the youth group did so I did some pre-message studying. My first message was scheduled for 9pm. The theme for the weekend was football, which I was excited about, but because of the wide range of ideas that come with this topic, it was hard for me to determine which direction to go. I had worked on preparing these messages for a couple weeks and with a little help from Rob Wegner (Life Mission Pastor here at GCC) I was able to gain some direction. I narrowed it down to these four messages: 1) When was the last time you got sacked? (basically the idea when was the last time life just seemed to steamroll you?) 2) Developing Fundamentals, 3) Being part of a team, and 4) Finishing strong.

As I had mentioned before, I was a bit anxious for this whole weekend but when it came time to get up and begin speaking, it seemed as though all of that was gone. I was totally comfortable. I have to believe that the Holy Spirit was present and I was doing what God had led me there to do. At the end of the message on Friday night I gave the kids some time to get there hearts right with God and to open themselves up to what God might want to say to them throughout the rest of the weekend. I challanged them all to get up from whatever has knocked them down, from whatever had sacked them, and to get back in the game because their role on the team is far to important to just quit (and so is yours by the way).

It was a good night talking, getting to know kids and catching up with the one and only Scott Herbert (Herb-Dog). I was so glad I had chosen to take this opportunity and I was looking forward to what day 2 would bring. (pics coming soon)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, Is Scott married to one of Mel and Edna Shetler's daughters? Mel has taught at PRMC during one of our Winter Bible Schools. I learned so much from his teaching. Edna is involved in Moms in Touch and I have visited with her at various MITI events.

Josh King said...

Brenda, I don't think she is. Her name is Berta.