Friday, October 20, 2006

2 Down, 8 To Go

That actually is a little how I feel after my first 2 Graduate classes and here's why. I have never been one who really loves the world of academia. Not that I am a bad student, it's just that spending tons of time researching and writing papers is never something that lit my fire. So after finishing two classes now, part of me feels like I just can't wait until it's over. Now I know it will be rewarding and it will be a great accomplishment but is that all it's going to be?

I have been doing some thinking about the best way to obtain a better knowledge of scripture and ministry and how to make the most of my time here in Indiana. Is going to school for ministry really going to be as effective as, lets say, putting all of that time in at the church and gaining experience that way? Choosing to pursue a master's requires a great deal of time and money. And if I am going to give those two things, am I going to come out that much farther ahead when it is all said and done? Think of it this way. Everyday, the Church is pressing forward into uncharted territory. They are laying the ground work for new styles of ministry and new ways to be effective in building the kingdom and engaging as many people as possible in that. And so if this is all new, that means that it can't be taught in the classroom yet because it is still in documentation mode. By the time it hits the shelves and begins to be taught, it will be outdated because the Church has continued to press forward into even newer and fresher ideas.

So my question becomes, will what I learn in the classroom and the time and money spent there, really help me to be that much more effective in ministry or would it make more sense to spend that time and less money in the church where I would be part of a team that works together to blaze new trails and learn that process first hand? Just something I have been thinking and praying about. My goal is to learn to be more effective in ministry understand God's Word and to think outside of box. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your getting some classes finished.
MSU just took the game against North West. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hurray!!!!!!!!!!:-)

Jonathan, Angela said...

Nancy, I don't think you realize the extreeeeeme passionate hate Frodo has for MSU!

Hey Frodo, i think I have a lead on the whole video thing check this out, it is some advice from a missionary friend of ours in spain:

Shupe: Good question. I mostly use a service called YouTube (www.youtube.com). You can find their help center here:

www.youtube.com/t/help_makevideo

My process is...
1) Take video on digital video camera
2) Plug video camera into computer (using DV cable)
3) Because I'm using a Mac, I open a program called iMovie
4) I import the video into the program
5) I try to do as little editing as possible (since this is where you can spend way too much time in front of the computer)
6) I export the video to a format called mp4 (but YouTube also accepts other formats too if this isn't an option for you)
7) I log on to my account with YouTube (which is completely free of charge) and go to the upload section. I fill in some info about the video and click "Upload" at which point I'm asked to find the movie file (in my case a mp4) on my computer and open it.
8) YouTube uploads the movie file to its server online. Then I have to wait maybe 10 minutes or so for the website to process the video before it appears "online" in my list of videos.
9) To post the video on my blog, it's very simple. From YouTube, I click on...
- My Videos from the tabs at the top of the page
- I click on the video I want to post on my blog
- From the right-hand sidebar, I copy and paste the code labeled "Embed" directly into the new post on my blog.
- when I preview my new blog post, the new video appears there. That's it!


He is a tech master, so it should work, and he has an excellent blog! I haven't got it to work yet cause it has a max of 100kbs and the video I tried to upload was like 700kbs so yeh see if it works! He is a total mac nut and has some cool video on his stuff so it should!

Kill any bambies lately?:)