Thursday, November 02, 2006

Preacher Man: Part 3

Day two brought about a day full of activity and speaking. I started the morning off with a message on developing the fundamentals of following Chirst. I used the acronym H.A.B.I.T.S. (created by Doug Fields) which stands for 1)Hang time with God, 2)Accountability, 3)Bible memorization, 4)Involvement, 5)Tithing/Giving, 6)Study scripture. After the message was completed we played games and had lunch. In the afternoon we played a game called Survival. In this game, the students were all different animals. Some were Herbivores (who had to hunt for hidden food) and some were Carnivores (who tried to tag the carnivores and eat them). Each animal was given a certain number of lives and once they died so many times they were out of the game. So how did the carnivores die you ask? That is where I came into the game. I was the hunter. I could kill any animal I wanted and the way I did this was a ton of fun. I was given two mini, rubber, dodge-ball, balls. If I hit a kid with one it would count as a kill. I got to run around for about 2 hrs. throwing balls at kids. It was a blast!!! However, there was one point in the game where I, myself, got blasted.

I was running full speed after a kid. I was wearing football cleats because it was pretty wet out. I wasn't thinking and I chased him full speed onto a basketball court which was made out of that slick cement material. As soon as I hit that cement I was like a deer on an icy pond. I had no chance. My feet flew up in the air and landed hard...and I mean hard...right on my can. I hadn't been hit that hard since I was a junior in high school and I got pummeled by Joel Maust and Scott Anderson in football practice. I did finish game and I finished strong, pegging one kid from about 30 yards. It was a lucky shot.

The day ended with a message about being a part of the team God has called you to which is the Church. I challenged kids to write letter from God to them about what their roles are in the game and how God wanted to use them. I would have them share the next morning more of what God spoke to them that night.

No comments: