Monday, February 05, 2007

Playing to My Strengths

This past weekend Hayley and I went up to Jackson to spend some time with Joel, Scott and Julie. We watched the Superbowl last night which ended up being a really fun game to watch. I was cheering for the colts the whole time so it was good to see them pull it out. Gotta love Tony Dungey and the demeanor and character he brings.

Anyways...the night before the Superbowl, Joel and I spent some time watching Marcus Buckingham DVD's. Marcus is a guy who talks a lot about determining what your strengths are and learning how to spend the majority of your time living in them. He says that in the work world today, less than 2 out of 10 people feel like they are actually doing what they really love or feel like they are really good at. So how do we become one of those 2 in 10?

This is something I have been asking myself. I am on a journey right now to discover what it is that I want to do with the rest of my life. What are my strengths? What do I just really love to do? I ask that question because what I'm good at and what I like to do might two different things. So what do I just love to do? What doesn't feel like work? I'm not real sure at the moment. I feel like I am good at alot of things but not great at anything. Maybe that's ok. I guess those people are needed too. I sure would like to excel in something though.

Joel and I talked about this to figure out what I might be good at and after thinking about I came up with these things that I enjoy. I like to be efficient and organized. I'm good at putting things together. Computers always seemed to come pretty naturally to me. I love sports.

That is a little of what I have discovered. More on this later.

No comments: