Thursday, February 08, 2007

Schmucker: Week 2

Last night was my second week doing Five Star at Schmucker middle school. This is one of the largest middle schools in the state with about 1,200 students. 62 of those students are currently in Five Star with about 10 on a waiting list. My role last night was to lead the games that take place for the first 45min on the night. We played Human Blob where each team has to make whatever shape I tell them to make using every member of their team. The second game we played was "Miss'em". "Miss'em" is actually dodge ball but we are not allowed to play dodge ball for some reason so we renamed it.

During the second half of the night Seth spoke on having Excellent Thoughts. I filled in for one of the absent coaches and after Seth spoke I spent some time with the 6 guys at my table asking them questions relating to the message. I had two students who tend to have negative thoughts. I didn't want to push them too much but they actually opened up. One kid said his dad left when he was 5 and only talks to him twice a year (birthday and Christmas). He doesn't even know where his dad lives. The other kid said he doesn't know either one of his parents because he was given up for adoption when he we like 2 or 3.

So it makes sense that they would have negative thoughts. Who wouldn't in a situation like these. And these stories are just two of hundreds in Five Star. We are making a difference in the lives of hurting kids. We are showing them that they matter and that they have a purpose. Next week I get to speak on Excellent Words. Looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Jonathan, Angela said...

Did the 2nd kid get adopted? If so, does he not have a loving family? Cause if not, I think adoption is pretty sweet! Don't see his down side, unless his family is lacking. Expound a bit if you would. Thanks

Josh King said...

The second kid did get adopted but I'm not sure what his current family is like. I think the stuff he is dealing with is not knowing who is real mom and dad are. It seems like he doesn't really have an identity or feels like he was unwanted by his previous parents. So his family may be good now but I think he is bothered by not really knowning where he came from.